a delicious history
The Strietmann Biscuit Company built the original Strietmann building in 1899 along the south side of W. Twelfth Street and adjacent to the Miami and Erie Canal. The company expanded its production and acquired in 1909, 1910, and 1919, the adjacent property along W. Twelfth Street to accommodate its growth.
A 1926 review of the products they produced illustrates a wide variety of baked goods. These included graham crackers, sugar wafers, various snaps, pretzels, biscuits, and a brand still common today - Zesta Soda Crackers. The Cracker Baker: A Revelation in Modern Scientific Development published in 1922, noted that the company “built its business on a foundation of optimism and belief that the world was getting better.”
In 1943, the Company moved out of Cincinnati into the planned English Garden village of Mariemont, Ohio. After that, the building was largely abandoned except for the Wegman Company’s furniture storage. Most recently, the Strietmann building’s executive offices were used for the Oscar nominated film, Carol, as the headquarters for the New York Times.